Seed certification in Oregon began in 1912 in potatoes, and quickly included small grains. Growers faced increasing difficulty finding reliable sources of quality seed.
Legislative action taken in 1937 authorized and required the Dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences at Oregon State University to initiate a program for certification of seed in Oregon. This responsibility has been carried out by the establishment of the Oregon Seed Certification Service, part of the Extension Service and the Department of Crop and Soil Science at Oregon State University.
The Oregon Seed Certification Service was created as a service to the public for the maintenance and increase of quality seed and propagating material. The service is provided to insure varietal purity and seed quality through review and retention of crop production records and a series of field and laboratory evaluations.